Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Well, it's off to the opera again tonight to the Teatro Carlo Felice to watch Rossini's La Cenerentola. It's the Cinderella story, but without pumpkins, talking mice and bibbidi bobbidi boo.

This opera was not performed for many decades, becuase there weren't very many good mezzo-sopranos who could tackle the challenging arias in this opera.

But then came - Cecilia Bartoli. (But that's not who we'll hear tonight.)

Enough said.

Off now to get ready for the theater!!

Oh, BTW, some links:

Teatro Carlo Felice

Rossini's "Cenerentola" (Cinderella)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was Cecilia Bartoli in the performance you saw? Can't wait to hear about it, I'm sure it was magnificent. Loved your story on the air this morning about sitting to drink your coffee in real cups. I noticed that when I was there as well. You forgot to mention the small portions. That is why europeans stay so slim, I think. I had to order three cappacinos to get my "fix" however.

I have one recommendation for you in Venice. If you have the chance, go to the Peggy Gugenheim museum. It is in the palazzo that was her home on the Grand Canal and contains her personal art collection and furniture just as it was arranged when she lived there. You can also see her "dog cemetary" and sculpture garden with the phallic statue she had at the water entry to greet her guests and offend passersby. She was quite a colorful character and it is fun to see the inside of one of the palazzos of the rich and famous. There is quite a nice coffee shop in the new addition for rest and refreshments. I'm sorry that I didn't think to lend you her autobiography to read in preparation for your trip.

Enjoy! ~Karen